For the first time on Patriots’ Day observance, photo of Bharat Mata was seen among two martyrs Bir Tikendrajit and Thangal General, when people pay floral tributes to the Patriots of Manipur.
The photos of it went viral on social media criticising the act of putting the photos together and bringing Bharat Mata on Patriots’ Day of Manipur.
The observation of Patriots’ Day was organised by Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), Imphal Unit today remembering the martyrs who laid down their lives for Manipur fighting against the British colonialist in 1891.
Speaking to media persons Convenor of the organising committee said that the photo which was put between the two martyrs Thangal General and Bir Tikendrajit was a photo of Bharat Mata. “The sacrifice by the martyrs is also a part of Bharat Mata”, he stressed.
He said that Bharat according to their organisation RSS is not the geographical nation. He added that RSS is based on nationalism and when it comes to nation ‘India’ Manipur becomes a part of it though it wasn’t earlier.
They believe to unite the minority groups without destroying their unique identity, he added.
He further said that they observed the Patriots’ Day remembering the sacrifice the martyrs did for Manipur.
Joint students Coordinating Committee in a press meet boycott RSS from organising events related to the history of Manipur.
JSCC further demanded a public apology for misleading the history of Manipur.
Chingkheinganba has been a journalist for more than 4+ years and is popular among the team for his reporting style. In his spare time, he teaches kids from his locality. He and his parents reside in Singjamei Chingamakha Kshetri Leikai . He holds a Masters Degree in Mass Communication from Manipur University. Chingkheinganba is available via email at [email protected]
Latest from Salam Chingkheinganba
- 10 days filmmaking course at MU concludes; Smartphone filmmaking a legitimate way of storytelling - Ajmal Jami
- MU community staged sit-in-protest demanding not to disintegrate Manipur
- Countdown begins for MANITEX- 2019: 15 stalls from foreign countries and 56 from different states of India will take part - Bishwajit
- Women’s body stage rally, submits memorandum to CM and Governor over FA
- NEFIS stages protest rally at MU demanding Anti Sexual Harassment Committee in MU