Even the intelligence reports with the Home Ministry suggest killing of 83 rebels in a swift counter attack by a team of elite Indian Army along the Indo-Myanmar border just after the infamous Chandel ambuscade; the State Government today maintained that it has no knowledge about the alleged massacre.
The report of alleged killing was carried out by The Times of India, which claimed that at least 83 ultras were killed Army raid in Myanmar.
Replying to questions asked by MLA Samauel Risom during question hour on the second day of the state Assembly session today, Home Minister Gaikhangam said that altogether 2 (two) underground cadres identified as NSCN (K) cadre Rangjanglung Kamei alias Raja (32) s/o Alu Kamei of Noney-2, Tamenglong district and KYKL’s Keisham Rajen Singh (28), s/o K Khamba Singh of Nongren Maning Leikai, Imphal East were killed on the June 4 Chandel attack.
However, the number of insurgents killed in the aftermath of the attack on the soldier is not known, the Home Minister, who is also the Deputy Chief Minister added.
The Home Minister admitted the report of villagers fleeing their homes due to military operation in and around the ambush site.
“Only a few villagers of Paraolon, Libong, Moltuk, Challong, Duthang and KotalKhunthak deserted. However, the villagers now have returned back to their respective houses and are residing the village peacefully. District Police as well as AR/Army are giving security to the villagers of Paraolon nearby villages. So far no untoward incident is reported,” said Gaikhangam.
Regarding the measures taken up by District/ State Administration, the Minister said that State Police personnel are taking preventive measures to ward off any unwanted situation. District administration officers have visited the affected villages and assurance was given by 6 Dogra that no retaliation would be taken against the innocent villagers.
Assistance in the form of transportation and edible items were also given to Paraolon villagers for resettlement, he added.