Imphal, Dec 11
Amidst hue and cry over the passing of the contentious Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019, which was passed at Lok Sabha, the long pending demand of the people of Manipur has been fulfilled after the President of India has assented extension of the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation 1873 with effect from today. An extraordinary Gazette notification in this regard has been issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
Chief Minister of Manipur, N. Biren Singh talking to media persons today morning said that as a gazette notification for extension of Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation 1873 has been officially published and come into force from today, the contentious CAB has been exempted from the state of Manipur.
Until yesterday, the Chief Minister received severe criticism for large scale celebration in the state of Manipur as a response to the announcement by Home Minister for the extension of BEFR 1873 during the debate for passing of the Citizenship Amendment Bill, 1873, as the announcement did not involve the extension of the ILPS legislation.
“Today the BJP led government under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah has proved that our leaders not only give assurances but convert their promises to action”, a jubilant Chief Minister said.
He further added that as Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation 1873 has been extended with immediate effect the state of Manipur has been exempted from the purview of Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019, which the people has been demanding .
The Extraordinary Gazette of India published today in the name of the president of India by the Minister of Home Affairs under the heading The Adaptation of Laws (Amendment) order, 2019 read –
“In exercise of the power conferred by clause (2) of article 372 of the Constitution of India and all other power enabling him in that behalf, the President is pleased to make the following order namely
- (1) This order may by called the Adaptation of Laws (Amendment ) Order, 2019.
(2) It shall come into force on the date of its publication in the Official Gazette
- In the Third Schedule to the Adaptation of Laws Order, 1950, for the directions relating to the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation 1873 the following shall be substituted, namely :-
Preamble – In the opening paragraph , for “ districts of Kamrup, Darrang, Nowgong, Sibsagar, Lakhimpur, Naga Hills, Cachar” substitute “ State of Arunachal Pradesh , Manipur, Mizoram, and areas of State of Nagaland as notified from time to time.
Mention may be made that in section 3 clause 4 of the citizenship Amendment Bill 2019 , it has been stated that “ Nothing in this section shall apply to tribal area of Assam Meghalaya , Mizoram or Tripura as included in the Sixth Schedule to the Constitution and the area covered under “The Inner Line “ Notified under the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation 1873”.
Latest from Rinku Khumukcham
- Manipur University in Dire Straits – (Part -2) MU authority dishonours RTI Act; Provide false information in connection with expenditure of 105 Indian Science Congress
- 6 more major rebel group call 12 hours total shut down on Republic Day
- Fate of Manipur University in dire straits; More irregularities found (Part -1)
- Discrepancies and signs of nepotism in Veterinary Department promotions
- CorCom and ULFA boycotts India’s Republic Day