By: Vijay GarG
The booming IT sector in India has plenty of jobs for fresh computer science graduates. Candidates from top notch engineering colleges however get attractive job offers from MNC IT companies in comparison to not so known engineering colleges. Additionally, candidates with high percentage of mark and good communication skills as well as sound computer knowledge do not face problem in getting a job whether they are from a reputed engineering college or not. Computer engineers can get jobs in non-IT companies like universities, research, private and public industries, government departments, business organisations, commercial organisations and the manufacturing sector, etc.
Besides the Computer Engineers have plenty of options to work in IT companies in departments such as design, development, assembly, manufacture and maintenance, etc. Working as programmer, web developer, and E- commerce specialist with telecommunications companies, automotive companies, aerospace companies , etc. can be a lucrative career option as well. Moreover, numerous national and multi-national computer manufacturing companies, computer hardware system design and development companies, computer networking companies, software development companies, etc. require computer professionals in large numbers.
Different Roles, Different Names
• Software Developers: Software developers are professionals who are concerned with facets of the software development process which involves activities such as design and coding, computer programming, project management, etc.
• Hardware Engineers: These professionals do research, design, develop, test, and oversee the installation of computer hardware which inter alia includes computer chips, circuit boards, systems, modems, keyboards, and printers.
• System Designer: Professionals involved in system designing, Logical & Physical Designing wherein logical designing can be enumerated as the structure & characteristics such as output, input, files, database & procedures, etc.
• System Analyst: Computer engineers who work as systems analyst do research about the existing problems and plan solutions for the problem. They also recommend software and system related problems and coordinate development between business development teams.
• Networking Engineers: Networking engineers are computer professionals involved in designing, implementation, and troubleshooting of computer networks.
• DBA: DBA or Database Administrator are the professionals who are bestowed with the job to design, implement, maintain, and repair an organization’s database. Inter alia DBA professionals are also known as Database Coordinator or Database Programmer in IT sector.
Career in IT is considered one of the most high-paying jobs and is full of opportunities; particularly when India’s prowess in information technology industry is recognized across the globe. The pool of talented computer engineers working in IT companies of the USA and Canada shows that IT can take a person to higher levels. Numerous IT companies from India employ huge number of computer professionals in their Indian and overseas offices.
A BTech or BCA/MCA can become an IT engineer. And a person requires +2 with mathematics to pursue BTech or BCA. Others without mathematics too can do various short term certification and diploma courses in various small packages. However, there is a stringent selection procedure at place for computer engineers wherein admission to the BE/ BTech courses is extremely competitive. An internship program at Various IT companies would garner practical knowledge and employability and it is a must and can be either after or during the course.
Candidates willing to excel in computer engineering should have sound command over mathematics and science to clear entrance exam conducted soon after 12th class. Advanced knowledge of chemistry and physics would help the candidates get through the entrance exam conducted by engineering colleges in India. Candidates who wish to do BE / BTech in Computer Engineering must have passed 10+2 or equivalent examination, with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. Similarly, those who wish to do Diploma in Computer Engineering must have passed 10 + 2 with Science Subjects. Candidates may opt for M.E/ M. Tech in Computer Science for further specialization in Computer Science.
Depending upon the interest the career in IT can be chosen. Those who love programming and coding can do software engineering and those who prefer networking and system administration, can do hardware engineering. IT sector is quite broad in terms of employment and job options. Roles are varieties for Computer engineers in IT sector, but their primary role is to apply the knowledge of mathematics and science to design and develop software to be used by clients or users. There are network engineers, system management professionals besides the computer engineers. Computer software engineers have bright career prospects as the application of software and dependency on it in various walks of life are increasing.