Imphal, July 9,
Youth’s Forum for Protection of Human Rights (YFPHR) expressed strong concern to the increasing trend of attack on Human Rights Defender and its family members.
“We deeply regret to learn the news of an attack by shooting at one young girl namely Urikhinbam Thoibi who was driving at Bolero jeep with some of her friends on the night of 4th July, 2019 in front of her residence at Thongju Boroi Makhong, Naorem Leikai” , Th Phajaton, President of the Forum said.
The YFPHR said that such an attack is considered as a life attempt and a threat to human rights defender as her father U Nobokishore and mother M Sobita are actively involved in human rights work in the state of Manipur and other internationally human rights work.
“Such an action of shooting is considered by YFPHR as a result of unchecked granting of gun licenses and increase of illegal small arms presence in the state of Manipur. We seriously condemn such action of shooting and a proper investigation is required to arrest the culprits”, the Forum said.
YFPHR, appealed the Police Department and the Government of Manipur to arrest the culprits immediately who are involved in shooting at Thoibi and her friends.
Jeet Akoijam, Resident Editor of Imphal Times hails from Singjamei Liwa Road. Has been with Imphal Times since its start. A National level Rugby player and a regular Trekker and Nature Lover, loves spending time in lap of Mother Nature. Jeet is the father of two lovely kids. Jeet can be contacted at [email protected]
Latest from Jeet Akoijam
- Normalcy cripple in Manipur as anti-CAB protestors called total shutdown
- CPI stages sit-in-protest against CAB and Naga issue
- YFPHR condemns M Binota’s action; Demands termination of her from the post of Chairperson of Women Commission
- State government trying all effort to resolve border dispute with Nagaland
- MPCC have also been not invited to discuss on CAB by the Union Home Minister