From a Correspondent
Chennai, May 24,
Assam’s shuttlers sizzled in the qualifying rounds of the Microplex Global and Yonex Sunrise All-India Junior Ranking Badminton Tournament here on Thursday afternoon, Tonmoy Bikash Boruah (in the Under-19 Boys Singles) and Angshuman Gogoi and Dixit Gogoi (in the doubles) advancing to the main round in style even as the top seed in the Under-19 Girls Singles P Gayatri Gopichand began her title quest in style.
In the boys’ singles qualifying round match, Tonmoy Bikash Boruah showed great skill and composure to register a comfortable 15-6, 15-11 of Shivam Mehta of Uttarakhand. He will now face the top seeded Priyanshu Rajawat of MP next.
While Tonmoy sparkled in the boys’ singles competition, boys’ doubles teams in the fray from the state also kept their hopes alive of going deep into the tournament.
The duo of Angshuman Gogoi and Dixit Gogoi got the better of Ambuj Prakash and Navneet Raushan of Bihar 15-12 15-10 to set up main round clash with the fourth seeded Kerala pair of Sankarprasad Udayakumar and Syamprasad Udayakumar.
Subhakar Borboruah of Assam teaming up with Vikehietuo Kense of Nagaland also made it to the main draw with a hard-fought 15-12 12-15 15-4 victory over Varaprasad Kanakala and Vasanta Rayudu Sarikonda of Andhra Pradesh. They will now face Suraj Goala of Assam and Uttar Pradesh’s Balkeshwari Yadav.
Early Results (Assam)
R5 Tonmoy Bikash Boruah, ASM, def. Shivam Mehta, UTR, 15-6 15-11 .
R3 Subhakar Borboruah, ASM, and Vikehietuo Kense, NAG, def. Varaprasad Kanakala and Vasanta Rayudu Sarikonda, AP, 15-12 12-15 15-4 . Angshuman Gogoi and Dixit Gogoi, ASM, def. Ambuj Prakash and Navneet Raushan, BHR, 15-12 15-10 .
Latest from Ashinikumar Mutum
- Baloch freedom fighter to interact with Guwahati scribes
- NFAI appeals to share film negatives for preservation; FSM appeals to save Manipuri Films
- Football Delhi’s Golden League coming back with the database to provide identity to all Delhi football players
- World Bamboo Day: RK Ranjan appeals to make Bamboo as means of employment
- Manipur’s Ambeshori Devi & Haryana’s Tamanna enter semi-finals of Junior Women’s Boxing Nationals