Imphal, Aug 22:
Perhaps for the first time in the N. Biren Singh led coalition government, the difference of opinions which have the potential of putting the present government in trouble water is seen after the Hill Area Committee (HAC) of the Manipur Legislative Assembly has recommended the passing of the amended The Manipur Hill area Autonomous district council Bill 2021.
When many organization including the Tangkhul Chief Associations, The ATSUM and the Kuki Students’ Organisation etc. threaten to ban in the High ways if the amended Bill of the ADC has not been discussed and passed in the ongoing state Assembly session. However, a day after the International Peace and Social Advancement had opposed even the discussion of the Bill in the ongoing house various civil society organization today convened a public discourse and resolved to stand against the Bill. The CSos even threaten dire consequences if the Bill is discussed in the ongoing state Assembly.
With two different groups having different opinions to the Bill, the N. Biren Singh Government is now in trouble water as most of the HAC members are supporting his coalition government.
In a one-day Public discourse on the Manipur (Hill Area) Autonomous district council bill 2021, orrganised by various CSOs including – IPSA, ACOAMLup, Pandam, IPAK,Kangla Mei,KIL, CLK and KSA, nine resolutions were passed terming the Bill as ‘sensitive ‘.
The public discourse resolved that The Manipur Hill Areas Autonomous District Councils Bill 2021 is a very sensitive Bill and it should not be table passed without prior consultation with all the stakeholders of the gale The MADC Bill 2021 contains the maximum provisions and objectives of the contentious NAGA AUTONOMOUS TERRITORIAL COUNCIL AND KUXI TERRITORIAL COUNCIL which the Montour’ People have been opposing.
The discourse also resolved the following :
1 The Manipur ( Hill Areas) Autonomous District Councils Bill 20211S a very sensitive Bill and it should not be table /passed without prior consultation with all the stakeholders of the state.
2. The MADC Bill 2021 contains the maximum provisions and objectives of the contentious NAGA AUTONOMOUS TERRITORIAL COUNCIL AND KUXI TERRITORIAL COUNCIL which the Manipuri People have been opposing.
3. The Salient features of the Bill duplicate almost all the provisions of the Sixth Schedule of the Indian Constitutions which is not acceptable to the majority population of the State.
4. The Bill reflects the communal, ethnocentric, and divisive intent of the vested interest groups by the elected representatives misguiding the general population of the Hill areas
5. Agreed that all communities and groups who stand for the integrity and peaceful co-existence between the ethnic communities of the state should oppose the said Bill.
6. The meeting expresses the discontentment towards the communal elected leaders of the Hill Areas leading such a campaign to divide the communities rather than uniting it.
7. The discourse invites all Hill Leaders and CSOs to come forward for a transparent discussion and analysis of the content of the said Bill and cooperate in working out an amicable solution to make an inclusive and judicious Hill acceptable to all the stakeholders of the Stale.
8. The member presents resolved to submit the representation of this public discourse to the Leader of the House and the Leader of Opposition to consider and take necessary actions.
9 The Meeting appeals to all the people of the slate specially in the Hill brethren to not fall into the half-beamed, clandestine and ill intended attempt of the elected few leading the campaign in the name of I lilt Areas Committee, which could be very much vested interest on the eve of their coming election
10. Members present at the discourse finally appeal to all legislatures to abstain from such moves made by the few elected leaders from the Hills and reject the recommendations made by the HAC to divide the state in the name of effective administration and development.