Home » 2731 rebels of various groups had surrendered to government – Home Minister

2731 rebels of various groups had surrendered to government – Home Minister

by IT Web Admin
0 comment 3 minutes read

A total of 2731 cadres of various rebel groups operating in the state had surrendered to the government, said Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam while replying to the calling attention motion moved by MLA I Ibohalbi in the second day of the 9th session of the 10th Manipur Legislative Assembly session. Among these, 550 cadres laid down arms and surrendered to the government individually, 1122 cadres belongs to the valley based underground groups who had signed memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the government, while 1059 cadres belong to the KON and UPF who are ensuing in Suspension of Operation (SoO).
Trinamool Congress MLA I Ibohalbi, in his calling attention motion drew the attention of the Home Minister over the lack of transparency in surrender policy for the underground group. He said the government’s inability to render effective policy for the surrendered misguided youth has become a threat to the peaceful atmosphere. Ibohalbi said many misguided youths who had surrendered to the government had expressed disappointment over the government failure to rehabilitate them effectively.
The Trinamool Congress MLA further said that both the Chief Minister and the Depauty Chief Minister had many a time said that government is keen in providing jobs to those who surrendered policy and often talk encouraging statement to shun violence. However, as no effective rehabilitation works seems to be taken up for the surrendered misguided youth, the public now feel apprehension about distorting the peaceful atmosphere.
Replying to the call attention motion, Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam who is also in-charge of Home said that the state government is taking up rehabilitation works for all those cadre surrendered under the scheme of the Ministry of Home Affairs. He said the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Union government understanding the momentum of the insurgency problem in the state, had formulated a special scheme for the surrendered militants in December 5, 2012 and the state government is taking up the rehabilitation programme for them under the guideline provided by the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Government of India. Under the scheme, a sum of rupees 2.5 lacs are deposited for three years for each surrendered UGs. Each of them are given a monthly stipend of rupees 4000 per month besides the incentives awards for the weapon they bring along at the time of surrendered.
So far 3 surrendered underground cadres have been accommodated with the state government among the 2731 cadres surrendered so far, Gaikhangam said.  He added that state government receive 80% grant for rehabilitation of the surrendered underground cadre and the remaining 20% too will be reimbursed by the MHA. On the other hand Gaikhangam said that the state government is planning to set up self contained area to keep all the surrendered militants at a specific place. In this area the cadres can stay along with their family members and the government can assured security for them, he added.    

You may also like

Leave a Comment


Imphal Times is a daily English newspaper published in Imphal and is registered with Registrar of the Newspapers for India with Regd. No MANENG/2013/51092


©2023 – All Right Reserved. Designed and Hosted by eManipur!

Adblock Detected

Please support us by disabling your AdBlocker extension from your browsers for our website.