Imphal, Feb 25
The Election Commission today announced that biennial elections of 55 members of Rajya Sabha from 17 states including the lone seat of Manipur, retiring in April 2020, will be held on March 26. The counting of votes will also take place the same day.
Rajya Sabha MP of Manipur Kshetrimayum Bhabananda Singh along with three RS MP of Rajasthan , 3 from Madhya Pradesh, 2 from Jharkhand, 1 from Himachal Pradesh, 2 from Haryana, 4 from Gujarat, 2 from Chhattisgarh , 5 from Bihar, 3 from Assam , 2 from Telangana and 4 from Andhra Pradesh will retire from the RS MP on April 9, 2020.
While notification for the biennial elections will be issue on March 6, March 13 is the last date of filing nominations.
Prominent among those retiring are NCP leader Sharad Pawar, Union Minister Ramdas Athawale (RPI-Athawale), Congress veteran Motilal Vora and former Union Minister Vijay Goel (BJP).
In Gujarat, the terms of the four seats expire on April 9. While the ruling BJP currently holds three of the four seats, one of them is held by Congress. The three BJP MPs whose term will end include Chunibhai Gohel from Junagadh, Shambhuprasad Tundiya from Ahmedabad and Lalsinh Vadodia from Anand. Madhusudan Mistry is the Congress MP who will retire on April 9.
Latest from Maheshwar Gurumayum
- Education Minister leads cleanliness drive at DM University Campus
- Festival of Tree Plantation celebrated in Tamenglong
- Assam Rifles organises tree plantation drive jointly with forest officials
- Education sector needs to re-evaluate disciplines offered in the context of global advancement: Minister Education
- CM inaugurates various projects through video conferencing