Imphal, Jan 13
When there is much debate over the issue of secularism enshrined in the Constitution of India across the nation, when voices of dissents for protection of all citizen’s life as per article 14 and other provision of the Constitution of Indian, a village called Itam Nungoi Village in Imphal East district under Lamlai Police station which is around ten kilometres towards north from Imphal do not allow any of villagers to chose religion of their choice.
October 18, 2019, a local body of the village called Itam Nungoi Village Development Committee published a leaflet which contain which religion should be followed by the villagers of the village.
An interesting point written in the leaflet – “Any villagers who were found following religion like Islam, Christian, Bodha etc. Itam Nungoi Village other then the religion followed by ancestors including Meitei/Meetei and Hindu religion will not get support from the village at time of performing rituals in connection with death or any other event.” The committee said that those following other religion will not be allowed to cremate in the village. There are other strictures impose to the villagers on what to do and what not to do which are total violation of the provisions provided in the constitution of India.
What is more interesting is that a Church called ‘Itham Nungoi Babtish Church’ constructed at the village remain guarded by some police personnel as there are apprehension that the villager may demolish the church.
A Pastor of the Church who used to attend that church have also been driven out of the village recently and the villagers threaten to ostracize anybody who violate the restriction imposed by the Village Committee. Around 5 kilometerd from the village is Lamlai Police Station. And the provisions provided in the constitution of India seems to have no values in Itam Nungoi Village.
Latest from Rinku Khumukcham
- Mobile tracking records show 456 users from NE, 85 from Manipur at Delhi’s Nizamuddin area in March middle week; Concealing of facts will not help to fight the deadly COVID-19
- Around 85 persons from Manipur suspected to have attend the religious congregation at Delhi’s Nizamuddin; CM appeals to come forward for testing
- PPFA insists on self- conscience during Covid-19 pandemic
- Fighting COVID-19; Health Advisory needs to be reviewed
- An appeal to the public of Manipur from a Manipuri Doctor working in UK