Imphal, July 24,
An ex-student of Standard Robarth Higher Secondary School shared their nightmarish experience while staying in the school’s boarding.
Before I share my story, I request to not disclose my identity, the lady now doing her graduation told Imphal Times.
She said, “The incidents that I am going to share today are what I actually experienced and witnessed during my stay in the boarding of Standard Robarth. I hope my side of the story helps in giving justice to Babysana”. Produce below is what she narrated to Imphal Times:
With one elder sister and two younger sisters, I stayed in the boarding from 2009-2012 (class 5-8). During these 4 years of my stay, I witnessed the wardens physically abusing the students with such atrocity, but without any proper reasoning, like how terrorists apathetically torture people. It included me and my sisters, too. I hope people will trust what I am saying.
Experiences since 2009:
- When I entered the boarding for the first time, I witnessed two sisters and a girl being harshly beaten in the assembly ground for running away from the boarding. Even Madam Landhoni was involved in beating them. One of the girls was very small. Instead of beating them if these homesick students were properly counselled, many students in the boarding would not have seen them in a bad light. The wardens made them lie face down and brutally beat them, like how animals are atrociously tortured. Seven wardens and Madam Landhoni brutally beat the students innumerable times with canes without any sympathy and without even considering if it would hurt the students or not.
- When I was in class 5, just because my name appeared like that of a boy when written backward on a bench, I was blamed for writing a boy’s name and beaten while making me lie face down.
- Instead of correcting students’ mistakes and guiding them towards the right path, the wardens called whatever the immature, young students did as crime, labelled them as thieves, shameless, and brutally beat them in the assembly ground.
When a student borrowed someone else’s belt because they had lost their belt, the student was beaten by hanging on the belt.
- One day when it was heavily raining, our boarding campus was completely flooded. The ground was also flooded and most of the wardens were fishing. Just for watching them fish from the verandah, the students were beaten by the wardens.
- They are those who get pleasure and satisfaction out of beating students, who defame the name of teachers, and who torture students in the name of god. Any female student with good looks, if confessed by a boy, the wardens just beat them. Even when the students were bleeding or when someone cried “ema-ema” or even when they see them unable to bear the pain, they beat the students till they are satisfied, all in the name of “caring for the students”. Even if the students were in a romantic relationship, it would be better if they had counselled and guided the students of what is right and wrong, considering that the students were adolescents. They are inhuman who only think beating students for everything as the solution and who mentally and physically torture students.
- I was severely ill in 2010-2011 and my right hand was also completely paralysed. They sent me for treatment after 3 months, and that too they had let me go after my father got furious. Knowing that my hand was not functioning, a warden made me carry his huge bucket for going to the washroom as a punishment. Since then, the condition of my hand worsened. It took one year of treatment.
- 4 wardens shamed and labelled my younger sister and her friend as lesbians just for simply spending time together and horrifically beat them, like demons, during the study hour while making them lie face down.
- The wardens did brutally beat my innocent and studious younger sister by saying that she had a boyfriend.
- A warden summoned my eldest sister and her friend, asked to “bend down” without asking anything, and horribly beat them to the extent that they were not able to walk later on. The warden ruined their reputation by accusing them for misleading other studious students into flirting with boys, just because they had good looks.
- We stayed on the top floor and there was a warden next to our room. Next to his room, there was a washroom, where the students kept their buckets and toothbrush. On a first Sunday, a student had lost their money and us roommates were searching for it. Our neighbouring warden had urinated in a mug and kept it at the doorstep. In the morning, when the students went to get buckets and toothbrush to freshen up, they kicked the mug by mistake since it was dark early in the morning. To this, the warden horribly beat us for not cleaning the mug and for searching the lost money.
Whatever I am saying are facts and incidents I witnessed. I am sharing these events since I am getting this opportunity. Again, I am requesting to not disclose my identity and pleading to trust what I am saying. I hope my story helps Babysana at least in some way.
As requested, we are maintaining the anonymity of the person’s identity.
How is supporting and keeping such an exploitative institution running a protection of Human Rights?
What is the purpose of such Right to Education that comes at the cost of students’ mental and physical health?
Note : Image used for representation purpose only
Latest from Ashinikumar Mutum
- Manipur Shiva Sena urges all political party’s meet; criticizes CM
- Weavers wishes to include Handlooms and Handicrafts in school curriculums
- Awareness Camp on Skill Development
- MSWDC Chairperson assures free training on weaving, embroidery and tailoring to destitute women
- Left parties launch Nationwide Movement in Manipur
Thongam Monday, 29 July 2019 21:46 Comment Link
I have witnessed too as an ex student once or twice beating up 3-4 girls beating up severely with canes until the canes even got wracked. Seen it . We were very horrified. And she said it was a warning to all .
Romario Sunday, 28 July 2019 22:53 Comment Link
When the second post mortem has been perform to the dead body of late sister babysana the doctor who perform the post mortem said that it was not suicide ,there is some case in her dead that the doctor believe that she was murder by someone
Sk Thursday, 25 July 2019 22:26 Comment Link
A thorough investigation is required... its a heinous crime to tortured children in the name of disciplining them.... its horrible... Such school must be banned...
raj Thursday, 25 July 2019 17:00 Comment Link
Did the girl really committed suicide or murdered?? Not proved yet
Is this kind of atrocity narrated by
this brave student justify the so-called artificial notion that such treatments
are for their betterment. A big shit
If someone can feel the pulse of what an individual is about
to commit then, no crime would have happened.
So pls.spare us.
Angnina Thursday, 25 July 2019 15:58 Comment Link
Who is Landhoni?
Sarmila Thursday, 25 July 2019 10:38 Comment Link
We have heard about this matters in some schools before. Yes, let's take in a good sense that they care and love the students so much so that they are doing for their betterment. But how can nobody notice that a girl was in a mood of committing suicide, what are the wardens doing at that time? And why are the school authorities informed the parents in eleven hour, after everything.
This is too much. It's time to divulge the brutality.
Radha Thursday, 25 July 2019 10:14 Comment Link
It's shocking to know the torture carried out to the adolescents. I am also not able to understand why parents do not know all these things are going on and not taking action on this monstrous so called wardens. Children should be given that kind of support , understanding and love that they are able share anything especially bad experiences with their parents.
Nasir Thursday, 25 July 2019 09:12 Comment Link
It's horrible if all information shared above are correct. It's too much.
Amar raj Thursday, 25 July 2019 03:03 Comment Link
According to her story , the investigation team / the JAC of the Babycha need a interview for all the current boarding students , after the interview at least there will be a clue or may be some idea to get the solutions of Babycha /may be a hint . And the Ex boarding students those who comment here and the others who had touture in their session, please come forward and show the truth, show your kindness this is the right time to repay the pain and for the justice of Babycha and for the future of our children !!
Thank you !
Lax Thursday, 25 July 2019 01:43 Comment Link
I am an ex student of standard robarth i had lots of bad feelings and experience too..i was not in boarding but many times there were partiality among the day scholar and boarding students..once i was beaten by Landhoni because my classmate who was sharing same bench with me went to rest room and missed the class,i guess i wasnt responsible for that but i felt so bad for hurting me for no reason