Imphal, March 2,
25 children are reportedly taking sheltered at the premises of Legal Aid Clinic in the village Nongbram Village near Mapithel Dam in Imphal East district .
Due to the construction of Mapithel Dam, the inhabitants of the Nongbram village who used to earn their livelihood solely by quarrying sand from the Thoubal river, have been deprived of their income thereby forcing them to go elsewhere for search of odd jobs. Initially the adult inhabitants used to go out from dawn and return to their families in late evening leaving their children to their own fate. However, as the work became scarce day by day, male adults were compelled to leave their families while the females were left to fend for themselves with their children. It is reported that some of the parents even left their children over a year ago.
Altogether 25 children of such families are now taking shelter at the office of Legal Aid Clinic with assistance provided by a member of the Socialist Students of Manipur and also members of Manipur People Proletariat Democratic Union. The children are now sent for leaning at the Kumuching Junior High School under the supervision of the Legal Aid Clinic.
A joint team of Child Welfare Committee, District Child Protection Unit, Childline Imphal and Imphal East Zilla Parishad today visited the to assess the situation
Latest from Rinku Khumukcham
- Normalcy crippled in Manipur during MANPAC’s 18 hours general strike
- Please understand CAB; if not today future is at stake if it passes
- MANPAC re-launches agitation against CAB; Khwairamband Keithel ladies stage anti- CAB protest; 18 hours bandh to begin from midnight today
- Is there any way forward that the Meitei, Naga and Kuki jointly resist CAB from a common platform
- Enigma of Unique Histories