Porompat Police Station in Imphal East has today summoned the convenor of Campaign for Just and Fair Delimitation (JFD) Jeetendra Ningombam in connection with suo motu FIR registered against JFD in wake of the organisation’s 48-hour general strike against Census in absence of updation of the National Register of Citizens (NRC).
FIR Number 240(08)2026/PRT-PS was lodged on August 17, which cites Sections 189, 189(2), 191(2), 351(1), 351(2) and 221 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), 2023. The case was registered suo motu based on information received from the police on the agitation to be held by JFD from midnight of August 17 to midnight of August 19.
According to the FIR, the strike, which has been planned against Census and its conduct despite non-updation of the NRC and training of Census enumerators, can lead to disruption of normal life, educational institutions and other government institutions.
The informant in the FIR is Porompat Police Sub Inspector Laishram Premjit Singh, while Sub Inspector Md. Riyajuddin has been appointed to investigate the case. Initially, the name mentioned as “accused” in the FIR is “Member of JFD” and not that of Ningombam.
After the filing of the case, OIC Porompat Police Station on August 20 issued notice under Section 179 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) to Ningombam to appear before police at 10.30 am today for questioning in connection with the investigation.
Ningombam along with 18 members of JFD appeared before police station. The questioning has been done by the Additional SP of Imphal East, while supporters from various organisations and Ema Meira Paibis have gathered outside police station.
In talks with IT News, Jeetendra stated that an FIR had been filed against him and police have asked his cooperation in avoiding any disruption to law and order in the present scenario.
“The police have come to my house and home of JFD Finance Secretary Sunil Karam for investigation”, Ningombam informed.
However, he stated that police actions will not deter the JFD from carrying out the agitation for NRC updation before the Census.
Referring to the State Government’s assurance that the matter of NRC-Census will be considered in the Assembly session to begin from September 2, Ningombam said that the matter lacks a concrete promise and asked the government to act on the resolutions passed in 2022 and 2024 on the matter.
Welcoming the reported visit of Manipur MLAs to New Delhi to discuss the matter with Central Government leaders, Ningombam said that it is encouraging but added that the government should make it clear whether they will conduct NRC updation before the Census.
He categorically denied that the agitation is politically motivated and asked the people who are concerned with the future of Manipur to support the movement.
The JFD has decided that its agitation will continue, while the next course of action will be taken up collectively after adopting a resolution. In addition, the organisation has decided for fresh phase of agitation including boycott of State and Central Government institutions while excluding essential services like health, education, electricity and water supplies.