Imphal, June 29:
The All Manipur Students’ Union (AMSU) Imphal East district committee and Mantripukhri Municipality Bazaar Board Women while conducting a surprise drive at Mantripukhri Market today recovered a huge quantity of tobacco products worth around Rs 1.5 lakh.
The tobacco products were recovered and seized from around 200 shops in the area. Items recovered include Talab, Saajan and Shikhar, Battle leaves, Win cigarettes etc. The seized tobacco product items were disposed of by burning in front of public and media.
AMSU Imphal East unit president Sanjoy Mangsatabam said that the drive was carried out against the selling of tobacco items in markets which are illegal and banned, especially during the lockdown.
“People of Manipur are suffering due to the ongoing pandemic lockdown. Selling of such banned items which are hazardous to health is absolutely against it,” he said.
Latest from Huirem Naresh
- EEVFAM demands speedy justice delivery to fake encounter victims
- ANTA congratulate Dr Hmunshel Jasha over his appointment as Scientist at CSIR - IITM
- IJU Concern over Police Complaint Against Shillong Times Editor
- KKL Received Humanitarian Award
- ATSUM serious to the functioning of TA & HD; threatens stir