Imphal, Oct .10
Armed rebel group, United People’s Revolutionary Front of Manipur (UPRFM) has announced 18 hours general strike in Manipur on October 15 protesting the dissolution of the Manipur State Legislative Council and merger of the Manipur (Kangleipak) to the Indian Union.
A statement by L. Rolin @ Thoupangba Meitei, Information and Publicity Secretary of the rebel group said that that day of 1949, where Manipur lost its freedom will be observed as Black Day. It said that Maharaja Bodhachandra of Manipur was forced to sign the merger agreement under duress at Shillong on September 21, 1949, without the consent of the Manipur National Legislatures. The general strike will begin from mid-night of October 14 till 6 pm of October 15, the statement added.
While elaborating on the historical events of how Manipur was annexed by India, the UPRFM statement also calls on people of the land the need to ponder on the life of the people after Manipur has been annexed. It said the discussion being taken place over the issue of September 21 , 1949, merger agreement by various group is a sign of marching the revolutionary movement.
Latest from Ashinikumar Mutum
- Manipur Shiva Sena urges all political party’s meet; criticizes CM
- Weavers wishes to include Handlooms and Handicrafts in school curriculums
- Awareness Camp on Skill Development
- MSWDC Chairperson assures free training on weaving, embroidery and tailoring to destitute women
- Left parties launch Nationwide Movement in Manipur