Imphal, Sept 8
A team of Jiribam district police seized a huge quantity of drugs worth over Rs. 2 crores while trying to smuggle in to Manipur at Jiribam yesterday evening.
Police source said that the drugs were loaded from Byrnihat in Meghalaya and were trying to smuggle to Myanmar. Manipur is a transit route for drugs and gold smugglers.
Report said that the seized drugs includes (2,04,72,750) Tramadol Hydrocloride (Rimdol-50) capsule 90,990 (strip 9099). The drugs were hidden inside iron poles loaded at an Ashok Leyland truck bearing registration No. AS 01JC – 2823.
The drugs were seized by a joint team of Manipur Anti Drug cell and Jiribam Police at around 7.30 pm yesterday. Driver of the truck Nongsaibam Raees @ Yaima (19) s/o N Tombi Shah of Yairopk Toupokpi Sabal Leikai, Imphal East has been arrested. The police are interrogating the driver to find out the owner of the drugs.
Cecil Thounaojam has been a freelance writer for Imphal Times and currently working as an in-house journalist for Imphal Times. He has completed MBA and worked as a copywriter for 5+ years in digital advertising agencies. Cecil is from Nongmeibung, Imphal East and he can be contacted at [email protected]
Latest from Cecil Thounaojam
- Anti-CAA protest in Yairipok: Police stopped the protesters
- Phamsak: An intimate collaboration of strings, drums, storytellers, and listeners in an indigenous ambience
- We are trying to preserve our culture and CAA is a threat: Artists of Manipur
- From Anti-CAB total shut down to pro-CAA rally: A Recap of how the tables have turned
- South Korea is the Country Partner for the 4th India International Cherry Blossom Festival 2019 at Shillong