Imphal, July 2,
At what could be term as a mockery to the Manipur Conservation of Paddy Land and Wetland Act, a construction is being taken place at cultivation site located at Shamurou under Imphal West district locally called ‘Shamurou Awang Leikai Loukol’ amidst protest by the people for protection of Paddy land.
Owner of the set up, who is converting the paddy field into a factory in violation of the Manipur Conservation of Paddy Land and Wetland Act could not be confirmed as Sub Divisional Officer of Wangoi Block, Y. Nelson was not available when Imphal Times reporter tried to contact him three times. However, while talking to local club and Meira Paibi of Shamurou Awang Leikai, Imphal Times reporter had been informed that the construction going on by destroying the paddy land is being taken up by a relative of a high profile Cabinet Minister.
“Earlier after we heard about procuring the paddy land for establishing some kind factory we the people of Shamurou have been opposing it” , Bijoy , a local club President told Imphal Times. He added that the objection for protection of the paddy land have not been listened by the SDO Wangoi as the owner is a close relative of a Cabinet Minister.
The paddy land site where the alleged relative of a high profile Minister is converting into an industrial site is at the back site of the MI road close to the Machu Cinema Hall, Shamurou.
Latest from Rinku Khumukcham
- CM co-chaired MoS Home GK Reddy in Security review meeting held ahead of the final settlement with NSCN-IM
- We definitely want a solution of the NSCN-IM and that could be empowering the ADCs
- UCM says ‘No’ to Pan Naga Cultural Body, Autonomous Naga Council or extension of Article 371(A) to Manipur
- Any settlement with the NSCN-IM that may hurt the sentiment of the People will not be tolerated – MPCC
- Union MoS Home K Reddy greeted with slogans to protect territorial integrity of Manipur