Imphal, Feb 22,
Chief Minister N. Biren Singh, today said that the notification of the Union Home Minister which gives power to the personnels of Assam Rifles to arrest a person and search a place without warrant in the North-eastern states of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram and Nagaland has been kept in abeyance.
Taking time in the ongoing state Assembly session the Chief Minister said that he was not able to answer reporters’ questions regarding the matter as he did not have detail information about it. The Chief Minister further said that the matter has been informed to him by the Home Ministry some few hours back that the notification has been kept in abeyance and there is no need for the people to be worried.
As reported in media today, ‘an officer of the rank corresponding to that of the lowest rank of the members of Assam Rifles’ has been given these powers under the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC), this was reported as per notification of the Union Home Minister.
Latest from Rinku Khumukcham
- “Retirement part of our life” Min Biswajit at Tc&I employees farewell ceremony
- Judicious journalism is a tool for good governance
- Manipur University VC Prof Adya Prasad Pandey dismissed
- MACR appreciates government but not happy over delay in approving Draft State Child Policy, 2017
- Committing crime against nature and the essence of patriotism