Imphal Feb. 21,
‘The unique culture and identity which is the treasure of the indigenous people of the land will vanished in thin air if the language which is now under a great threat extinct’, says Dr. L Mahabir Director of Language Planning and Implementation Government of Manipur.
Speaking on the occasion of International Mother Language Day organised by Directorate of Language Planning and Implementation Government of Manipur as President of the function held today at Manipur Press Club, Dr L.Mahabir said that around the world many languages of small communities has been facing a great threat and lie on the verged of extinction and many of it becomes endangered languages. So the people need to be aware of such situation.
The function also include seminar where various teachers read papers on various topics as a morning session and poetry reading in the evening session.
The function was also attended by Professor of linguistics department of Linguistics Manipur University Dr. N. Promodini as the chief guest of the function.
It can be mention that the UNESCO theme for International Mother Language day this year is ‘Indigenous Languages Matter for development, Peace building and Reconciliation’.
Rinku Khumukcham, Editor of Imphal Times has more than 15+ years in the field of Journalism. A seasoned editor, was a former editor of ISTV News. He resides in Keishamthong Elangbam Leikai, with his wife and parents.
Latest from Rinku Khumukcham
- Manipur University fiasco: High Court directs Independent committee to submit report within five days
- Massive hunt for perpetrators behind the killing of Arunachal Pradesh MLA with 10 others underway at Khonsa region
- ENNG condemns Killing of AP MLA with 10 others
- Stop faking and face the facts
- Arunachal Pradesh MLA Tirong Aboh along with 6 others killed in ambush by suspected NSCN-IM cadres