Guwahati, Feb 8,2019
In a frightening stifling of democracy, the BJP administration took fascistic measures to curb the democratic protests against the amendment of the citizenship act of 1955 after PM Modi’s arrival in the state. Members of the All Assam Students’ Union (AASU), who have been leading many protests against the bill, were barricaded inside their headquarters at Swahid Nyas at Latasil by minions of the BJP administration. Yet members of the organization raised slogans against the BJP and showed black flags to the Prime Minister as he passed by. A photo that has emerged from the site shows numerous black flags being waved at the Prime Minister as he looked on from his vehicle. After Prime Minister Narendra Modi had arrived in the city late in the evening, members of AASU had assembled inside their office, intending to stage a black flag protest. The convoy carrying the Prime Minister, en route to Raj Bhavan, was passing through the front of the AASU headquarter, but they were prohibited from spilling onto the streets by authorities, who have taken strict measures to curb the protests against the citizenship bill during Modi’s visit to the state.” Narendra Modi is a savior of Bangladeshis, and he does not care about the interests of indigenous people. They can try to curb these protests all they want, but they are continuing and they will continue in the future as well”, said Samujjal Bhattacharya, Chief Advisor of AASU, while addressing the media.
Latest from Rinku Khumukcham
- A Reader’s Response to your article “A.I. in modern era”
- Criminal contempt case taken up for defaming High Court appointee MU Administrator Jarnail Singh
- State to provide tap connections to all rural households by 2022
- Combating Covid-19 pandemic by empowering the youth
- Even though cracks between NPP and BJP stitched, Joykumar unlikely to accept the reallocated portfolios unless offered the one he desire