A rapist who allegedly raped a 17 years old girl in his locality has been remanded to 15 days judicial custody by District and Session Judge Thoubal on Friday.
The accused has been identified as Wangjam Himalaya (25) S/o Kumar of Thoubal Wangmataba Kairanbi Mathak Leikai.
Both the accused and victim are relative, sources said. The incident took place on January 16 when the accused forcibly raped the girl while all the members of the victim family were away.
The accused was arrested by Thoubal police on January 27 based on a written complaint filed by the mother of the victim. He was produced before the court and remanded to police custody till today.
With the period of police custody being over, the accused was produced today before District and Session Judge Thoubal which later on remanded him to 15 days judicial custody.
When the accused was produced before the court, irate womenfolk stormed the court demanding to give him fitting punishment.
Meanwhile, a public meeting was held at Wangmataba Litan Makhong organised by YDSO Club and Nupi Chaokhat Khongthang Lup Thoubal. The meeting resolved to oust the accused from the locality while demanding compensation for the victim.
Latest from Rinku Khumukcham
- AR Rifleman detained and harassed IPS officer on duty at Imphal – Moreh road
- PREPAK rejects celebration of Manipur Statehood Day
- PREPAK(Pro) slams Ranjan over his statement on drug use among students
- 11th edition of Pragjyoti International Dance Festival to be held at Srimanta Sankardeva Kalakshetra on January 31 and February 1, 2020
- Nation and Unintegrated part now bridged; have more trust in Indian constitution