Imphal, Jan 11,
All Manipur Students’ Union (AMSU) advisor Sinam Prakash along with NESO members led by Samujjal Bhattacharjee advisor AASU on Friday reached Tripura to meet the tribal youths who had sustained injuries while demonstrating against the controversial Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016 Madhabbari and adjacent areas on January 8.
Internet services have been suspended to prevent spreading of rumours.
Led by Bhattacharjee, a team of North East Students’ Organisation reached Tripura to take stock of the situation and met the local people. However, the team was stopped by the police in Khumulwng of Agartala.
As per reports, 15 youths sustained injuries during the firing and seven are said to be critical.
The members of the North East Students’ Organization clashed with the police at Khumulwng. The police had to lathi charge and blank fire to disperse the protesters. Police fired rubber bullets and used tear gas to chase away the protesters.
Rinku Khumukcham, Editor of Imphal Times has more than 15+ years in the field of Journalism. A seasoned editor, was a former editor of ISTV News. He resides in Keishamthong Elangbam Leikai, with his wife and parents.
Latest from Rinku Khumukcham
- Arunachal Pradesh MLA Tirong Aboh along with 6 others killed in ambush by suspected NSCN-IM cadres
- Poll result prediction: ‘to be or not to be ...’
- AIFUCTO stands with AMCTA’s demand for implementation of 7th UGC pay scale
- The wrath of Mother Nature: Mercury is rising
- Dr. Heptulla lauds the nurses of Manipur; says they are highly demanded outside the state