Joykishan urges for a special assembly session to discuss the prevailing issues
Imphal, Jan 10
Manipur Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) today come down heavily on Chief Minister N. Biren Singh over his remark on the Citizen Amendment Bill during yesterday’s Birth Anniversary Function of Gambhir Singh.
CLP leader Okram Ibobi Singh while speaking to media persons at Congress Bhavan here in Imphal today said that even though his party welcome the Chief Minister over his statement to apprise the central leadership including the President of India to give assent to the Manipur People protection Bill passed by the state assembly, he expressed wander on how he could do that when the Parliament (lower house) had already passed the Citizenship Amendment Bill.
Okram Ibobi Singh, further added that much had been promised to show its caring for the North East people by the present NDA government. Even the Look East Policy had been converted to Act East policy but one wander what actually had been done for the people of the North East India.
“They only hurt the sentiment of the people, they passed legislation without hearing the voice of the people of NE states”, Ibobi said. He also question the present government stand over the Citizenship Amendment Bill.
Spokesperson of MPCC, MLA Joykishan while speaking during the press conference said that the present government should immediately convene a special assembly sitting to discuss the matter. He said it is time the sixty MLAs expressed their views over the Bill so that people will know that the elected representatives are doing things for the people.
“How could a bill passed by the Parliament be overruled by the State Assembly”, Joykishan said adding that the Manipur Protection Bill passed by the Assembly Bill will be of no used once the parliament passed that Bill.
Veteran Politicians, Okram Joy, who recently joined the Congress party said that he feel pity for the government when the Chief Minister N. Biren Singh said that the Citizen Amendment Bill will not come into force in the state of Manipur as there is already an ILPS Bill.
“I feel pity of this government”, Joy said.
The Peoples’ Protection Bill will be diluted by the Citizen Amendment Bill.
All the leaders of the Congress party term the statement of the Chief Minister as another gimmick to fool the people. But warn the government that it is not easy to fool the people as these days almost all people knows something of everything and there are people who are expert in the field.
Rinku Khumukcham, Editor of Imphal Times has more than 15+ years in the field of Journalism. A seasoned editor, was a former editor of ISTV News. He resides in Keishamthong Elangbam Leikai, with his wife and parents.
Latest from Rinku Khumukcham
- AIFUCTO stands with AMCTA’s demand for implementation of 7th UGC pay scale
- The wrath of Mother Nature: Mercury is rising
- Dr. Heptulla lauds the nurses of Manipur; says they are highly demanded outside the state
- Kumbi BJYM President threatened by State Veterinary dept. staffs
- 4 plus 4 is always equal to 8: But there is something to worry
raj Thursday, 10 January 2019 18:08 Comment Link
What's the sole purpose of citizenship amendment bill?? Some doubts. If its:
1. To create artificial but permanent vote banks in a region to tilt in favor
of a particular party which were hitherto not a stronghold like West Bengal, J and K, Northeastern states-regions where sizable MP seats can be guaranteed to compensate loses in other states??
2. Sixth Schedule of the Constitution is also proposed to be amended to strengthen the Autonomous District Councils. (HM, Rajnath Singh). Is it something to be enforced in Manipur also? And what is it meant to "strengthen", to provide administrative, economic and other higher powers that can bypass powers of state legislatures??
3. To alter the geopolitical setup of a region for votebank politics?
4. Or to dilute the acid-like attack thrown by opposition parties charging and accusing the govt. of many issues or to divert attention from some main issues or decisions to be taken?? Important phase of Babri masjid hearing is about to begin in supreme court. Is is something like carrot and stick policy to coerce or intimidate opposing parties to come to terms in favor of one side?
List of doubts and speculations are myriads, but only time will tell.