Imphal, Dec 19,
Special Judge, POCSO, Imphal West has convicted Chongtham Ronald alias Rohit for raping a differently abled minor girl on July 1, 2015 somewhere at Imphal West district.
Sentence hearing of the convict is scheduled on December 19.
Chongtham Ronald alias Rohit (28) s/o Ch Radhakanta, has been lodged in judicial custody at Manipur Central Jail Sajiwa since July 2015 in connection with the case.
The case began from December 2015, soon after the then IO of the case, SI Ksh Sanajaobi of Women PS, Imphal West, submitted the charge sheet before the Court against the accused under section 6 of POCSO Act 2012 .
The Court framed charges against the accused in February, 2016, and during the two year long trial, the Court recorded and examined the statement of numerous prosecution witnesses and defense witnesses.
The argument hearing between the Special PP and defense counsel was held on December 5 this year, as well as today.
It may be mentioned that the accused was caught red handed by the elder brother of the victim on July 1 (2015), at around 2.20 pm, and after the matter came to light the accused was handed over to Women PS, Imphal West, by locals on July 3 the same year.
Latest from Rinku Khumukcham
- A Reader’s Response to your article “A.I. in modern era”
- Criminal contempt case taken up for defaming High Court appointee MU Administrator Jarnail Singh
- State to provide tap connections to all rural households by 2022
- Combating Covid-19 pandemic by empowering the youth
- Even though cracks between NPP and BJP stitched, Joykumar unlikely to accept the reallocated portfolios unless offered the one he desire