Imphal, Dec 19,
Special Judge, POCSO, Imphal West has convicted Chongtham Ronald alias Rohit for raping a differently abled minor girl on July 1, 2015 somewhere at Imphal West district.
Sentence hearing of the convict is scheduled on December 19.
Chongtham Ronald alias Rohit (28) s/o Ch Radhakanta, has been lodged in judicial custody at Manipur Central Jail Sajiwa since July 2015 in connection with the case.
The case began from December 2015, soon after the then IO of the case, SI Ksh Sanajaobi of Women PS, Imphal West, submitted the charge sheet before the Court against the accused under section 6 of POCSO Act 2012 .
The Court framed charges against the accused in February, 2016, and during the two year long trial, the Court recorded and examined the statement of numerous prosecution witnesses and defense witnesses.
The argument hearing between the Special PP and defense counsel was held on December 5 this year, as well as today.
It may be mentioned that the accused was caught red handed by the elder brother of the victim on July 1 (2015), at around 2.20 pm, and after the matter came to light the accused was handed over to Women PS, Imphal West, by locals on July 3 the same year.
Latest from Rinku Khumukcham
- Normalcy crippled in Manipur during MANPAC’s 18 hours general strike
- Please understand CAB; if not today future is at stake if it passes
- MANPAC re-launches agitation against CAB; Khwairamband Keithel ladies stage anti- CAB protest; 18 hours bandh to begin from midnight today
- Is there any way forward that the Meitei, Naga and Kuki jointly resist CAB from a common platform
- Enigma of Unique Histories