Imphal, Sept 2,
Web portal “Pothashang” today celebrated its first foundation day at Manipur Press Club Imphal.
A two minutes silence was observed as a mark of respect to late Khelen Thokchom who had encouraged the Pothashang team while he was among us.
Director , IPR, Balkrishna, Senior Journalist N. Tombiraj and Seram Indrajit , Retd. Associate Prof. attended as dignitaries on the dais.
Web portal even though has been becoming an important channel of Media in today’s world, so far state government has no policy for encouragement of those running the portal.
Director of IPR , Balkrishna while speaking on the occasion assured to discuss on how to promote web portal who are disseminating important information to the general public. He said the government is considering for improvement of all those working in the field of journalism.
Balkrishna further announced schemes being taken up by the government of Manipur for the welfare of the Journalist community. He said Pension scheme is expected to be increase double the amount that the Retd, journalist are getting after getting approval from the state cabinet .
Sh. Ajit, a freelance columnist , while speaking on the occasion stress on the need for improvement of the web portal as its accessibility has no limitation. He also recalled the courage of many journalists who are no longer among us and elaborated on the need to culture more courage journalist who could follow the route of NK Sanajaoba, Salam BharatBushan, Khelen Thochom among others.
He said these journalists who are no more among us had tried to give alternative ideology to the people of the state . Ajit also recalled the courage of senior journalist Irengbam Arun , now media advisor to the Chief Minister of Manipur.
“When Irengbam Arun was the editor of Ireibak Newspaper his criticism to the then ruling Chief Minister is still remembered by one and all”, Ajit said, saying that as of today no journalists dare to use the word of Irengbam Arun which he stated that “It was due to lack of baton on the back that Mr. Ibobi continue to misrule the state.
- Bobichand , a free lance journalist, while speaking on the occasion lambast the intrusion of the ruling authority to the freedom of media. He said media is often considered as the 4thpillar of Democracy but the government seem to forget it as it have no respect for the media this day.
William Gurumayum, Sub-Editor of Imphal Times is a resident of Sagolband Salam Leikai. He has been with Imphal Times since beginning. A avid adventure lover, writes mostly travelogue.
Latest from William Gurumayum
- 8th Annual Regional Principals’ Conference of KV Sangathan, Tinsukia Region begins at Imphal
- Assam Rifles commemorates Kargil Vijay Diwas
- CM distributes CMHT cards to journalists; Hands over appointment order to Th. Chinglensana
- CM inaugurates new building of Horticulture Department; ‘Horticulture sector key to state’s economic prosperity’
- CM N. Biren shares pains of Assam