Imphal, July 28,
Large number of VDF personnel today staged a protest rally in Imphal . the large number of VDF who were marching towards Chief Minister Bungalow were intervene by a strong team of protest at Kwakeithel area. The VDF personnel confronted the police and tried to precede their rally forcing the police personnel to fire rounds of tear gas shell. The police force managed to disperse the VDF by firing tear gas shell and charging baton.
The VDF Welfare association which organised today’s rally has been demanding proper salary if not in par with the police constable who are doing the same duty . The association began various form of protest since July 11 this year.
Already the association had submitted a 13 point charter of demand to the Chief Minister but as they received no positive response they continue the protest.
“There are many VDF who are sole bread earners of their families and the present pay cannot manage our family”, said a protestor.
At present the VDF are getting a sum of Rs. 6000/- per month.
William Gurumayum, Sub-Editor of Imphal Times is a resident of Sagolband Salam Leikai. He has been with Imphal Times since beginning. A avid adventure lover, writes mostly travelogue.
Latest from William Gurumayum
- 8th Annual Regional Principals’ Conference of KV Sangathan, Tinsukia Region begins at Imphal
- Assam Rifles commemorates Kargil Vijay Diwas
- CM distributes CMHT cards to journalists; Hands over appointment order to Th. Chinglensana
- CM inaugurates new building of Horticulture Department; ‘Horticulture sector key to state’s economic prosperity’
- CM N. Biren shares pains of Assam