Imphal, July 23,
Manipur Liquor Prohibition (Amendment) Bill has been referred to a 5 member select committee by the speaker of the house. The Bill was introduced on the first day of the 5th Manipur Legislative Assembly session on July 20 by the Deputy Chief Minister Y Joykumar.
Opposition leader Okram Ibobi while giving observation to the Bill said that it is not wise for the state to pass such Bill just because the state need revenue. He said that there are certain areas that the state can get assistance from the central government.
The Leader of the house while clarifying that the Amendment of the Bill is not for revenue purpose but for the welfare of the state as the probation will continue even though liquors are exported.
Later the speaker of the house referred the Bill to the select committee .
Meanwhile, various civil society organisation of the state including AMKIL, Nupi Samaj and CADA staged a sit in protest at Western Kangla gate in protest against the Bill. The organisations threatens serious agitation if the Bill is passed in the state assembly.
William Gurumayum, Sub-Editor of Imphal Times is a resident of Sagolband Salam Leikai. He has been with Imphal Times since beginning. He also looks after the website and application of Imphal Times. An avid adventure lover, writes mostly travelogue.
Latest from William Gurumayum
- Governor meets with Sehlon Villagers
- Assam Rifles Celebrates World Earth Day
- Manipur Governor Dr. Najma Heptulla pays floral tribute to the heroes of Khongjom War
- Following is the speech by Dr. Najma Heptulla delivered on the occasion of Khongjom Day
- Inner Manipur Parliamentary election: Re-poll announced in 12 Polling stations; fresh polling on April 24