New Delhi, Dec 11: Rahul Gandhi has become the Congress President-elect with the deadline to withdraw nomination for internal polls ending at 3pm today. Gandhi, however, may officially take charge on December 16 when his mother and longest-serving party president Sonia Gandhi formally hands over the baton to him, marking a generational shift in the grand old party.
AICC spokesperson says the deadline for withdrawing nominations was 3pm today. All 89 nominations papers for Rahul Gandhi have been found valid. As the only candidate, Rahul Gandhi is declared Congress President.
“This is a historic moment,” says party leader MM Ramachandran.
Sonia Gandhi will formally hand over the reins of the party to her son on Saturday, December 16 at 11am. a party source said.
Large numbers of Congress workers were seen celebrating outside the party headquarters in New Delhi.
Rahul Gandhi, meanwhile, is busy campaigning in Gujarat.
Rinku Khumukcham, Editor of Imphal Times has more than 15+ years in the field of Journalism. A seasoned editor, was a former editor of ISTV News. He resides in Keishamthong Elangbam Leikai, with his wife and parents.
Latest from Rinku Khumukcham
- Manipur’s 1st Lokayukta Chairperson sworn in retired justice T. Nandakumar Singh as Chairperson
- Chief Minister N. Biren Singh returns; leaves airport without facing reporters
- Pouring anger to media won’t help solving the crisis
- Political crisis remains unsettled; BJP Central leaders to review MLAs performance during the 17th Lok Sabha Election
- Central leaders will come and decide for solution – Th. Bishwajit