Imphal, July 24,
An ex-student of Standard Robarth Higher Secondary School shared their nightmarish experience while staying in the school’s boarding.
Before I share my story, I request to not disclose my identity, the lady now doing her graduation told Imphal Times.
She said, “The incidents that I am going to share today are what I actually experienced and witnessed during my stay in the boarding of Standard Robarth. I hope my side of the story helps in giving justice to Babysana”. Produce below is what she narrated to Imphal Times:
With one elder sister and two younger sisters, I stayed in the boarding from 2009-2012 (class 5-8). During these 4 years of my stay, I witnessed the wardens physically abusing the students with such atrocity, but without any proper reasoning, like how terrorists apathetically torture people. It included me and my sisters, too. I hope people will trust what I am saying.
Experiences since 2009:
- When I entered the boarding for the first time, I witnessed two sisters and a girl being harshly beaten in the assembly ground for running away from the boarding. Even Madam Landhoni was involved in beating them. One of the girls was very small. Instead of beating them if these homesick students were properly counselled, many students in the boarding would not have seen them in a bad light. The wardens made them lie face down and brutally beat them, like how animals are atrociously tortured. Seven wardens and Madam Landhoni brutally beat the students innumerable times with canes without any sympathy and without even considering if it would hurt the students or not.
- When I was in class 5, just because my name appeared like that of a boy when written backward on a bench, I was blamed for writing a boy’s name and beaten while making me lie face down.
- Instead of correcting students’ mistakes and guiding them towards the right path, the wardens called whatever the immature, young students did as crime, labelled them as thieves, shameless, and brutally beat them in the assembly ground.
When a student borrowed someone else’s belt because they had lost their belt, the student was beaten by hanging on the belt.
- One day when it was heavily raining, our boarding campus was completely flooded. The ground was also flooded and most of the wardens were fishing. Just for watching them fish from the verandah, the students were beaten by the wardens.
- They are those who get pleasure and satisfaction out of beating students, who defame the name of teachers, and who torture students in the name of god. Any female student with good looks, if confessed by a boy, the wardens just beat them. Even when the students were bleeding or when someone cried “ema-ema” or even when they see them unable to bear the pain, they beat the students till they are satisfied, all in the name of “caring for the students”. Even if the students were in a romantic relationship, it would be better if they had counselled and guided the students of what is right and wrong, considering that the students were adolescents. They are inhuman who only think beating students for everything as the solution and who mentally and physically torture students.
- I was severely ill in 2010-2011 and my right hand was also completely paralysed. They sent me for treatment after 3 months, and that too they had let me go after my father got furious. Knowing that my hand was not functioning, a warden made me carry his huge bucket for going to the washroom as a punishment. Since then, the condition of my hand worsened. It took one year of treatment.
- 4 wardens shamed and labelled my younger sister and her friend as lesbians just for simply spending time together and horrifically beat them, like demons, during the study hour while making them lie face down.
- The wardens did brutally beat my innocent and studious younger sister by saying that she had a boyfriend.
- A warden summoned my eldest sister and her friend, asked to “bend down” without asking anything, and horribly beat them to the extent that they were not able to walk later on. The warden ruined their reputation by accusing them for misleading other studious students into flirting with boys, just because they had good looks.
- We stayed on the top floor and there was a warden next to our room. Next to his room, there was a washroom, where the students kept their buckets and toothbrush. On a first Sunday, a student had lost their money and us roommates were searching for it. Our neighbouring warden had urinated in a mug and kept it at the doorstep. In the morning, when the students went to get buckets and toothbrush to freshen up, they kicked the mug by mistake since it was dark early in the morning. To this, the warden horribly beat us for not cleaning the mug and for searching the lost money.
Whatever I am saying are facts and incidents I witnessed. I am sharing these events since I am getting this opportunity. Again, I am requesting to not disclose my identity and pleading to trust what I am saying. I hope my story helps Babysana at least in some way.
As requested, we are maintaining the anonymity of the person’s identity.
How is supporting and keeping such an exploitative institution running a protection of Human Rights?
What is the purpose of such Right to Education that comes at the cost of students’ mental and physical health?
Note : Image used for representation purpose only
- Published in News