Imphal, Dec 15
Government of Manipur is likely to face serious financial crisis in the coming days as the State Finance Department has collapsed due to bankruptcy of the state exchequer. Source said that besides failure of the state government in taking up a single work programme in all the departments, except those in the regular government services, the government may not be able to pay salary for those engaged government employees who are under the category Work Charge, Muster Roll and Contract staffs. The source further added that after the payment of pre Christmas Salary for regular government employees state may delay in payment of Salary next month.
Talking to Imphal Times , Prof. Chinglen Meisnam, a well known economist said that December is a month for preparation of revised budget and it is possible that they may make some arrangement to sort out the financial crisis. However, the announcement for payment of 7 revised pay scale will be another burden for the government as the financial condition is in no way to improve as of the moment. And if the government implement the 7th Revised Pay of the 70,000 plus regular government employees than it is likely that the state may land into serious financial crisis.
Government may target recovery of the financial deficits using certain increase in the revenue on essential commodities in the revise budget and this will only amount to inflation in the essential commodities.
In the present financial condition of the state major department like Public Works Department, Water Resource Department, Irrigation and Flood Control Department, Agriculture department have not prepared any new work programme which has to be done before the revise budget.
It’s also learnt that only 30 % of the total estimate cost was put in the budget provision work programme for last year, that is 2018-19 . The remaining 70 % has not been provided at any head for work programme even as the year 2019 in ending in 15 days.