Log in

Wednesday, 18 March 2020 - Imphal Times

SC directs to cease cabinet portfolio from Forest Minister Th. Shyamkumar and to bar him from entering the Manipur Legislative Assembly complex

IT News

Imphal, March 18

In an interesting political development, ahead of the Rajya Sabha election scheduled to be held on March 26, the Supreme Court of India in an interim order has directed the Government of Manipur to cease the Ministerial Berth of MLA Th. Shyamkumar and directed the Manipur State Assembly to bar him from entering the state Assembly complex, which means that Th. Shyamkumar will not exercise his vote in the upcoming Rajya Sabha Election.

The Supreme Court, however, left the matter to decide on the fate of the MLA whether to disqualify or not, to the Speaker’s tribunal of the Manipur Legislative Assembly. The Speaker’s Tribunal had earlier reserved the judgment for the disqualification case till March 28 because of the Rajya Sabha Election and his hectic schedule for preparing state assembly related activities.

The interim judgment was announced today by a three-member bench comprising of Justice Rohinton Fali Nariman, Justice Aniruddha Bose and Justice V. Ramasubramanian in connection with a fresh admission in connection with the SLP filed by Congress MLA Keisham Meghachandra Singh and MLA MD. Fajur Rahim for disqualification of MLA Shyamkumar who is the Forest and Environment Minister under the 10th Schedule of the Indian Constitution.

On January 21, a three-member bench of the Supreme Court had directed the Speaker’s Tribunal to decide the disqualification case of Forest Minister Th. Shyamkumar within 4 weeks period. On January 25 the Court ruling was handed over to the Speaker of the Manipur Legislative Assembly. Later the Manipur Legislative Assembly filed a petition for an extension of the case hearing at the Supreme Court but was declined by the Supreme Court.

The Speaker’s Tribunal headed by Speaker Y Khemchand conducted the final hearing of the case on February 4 but the tribunal reserved its judgment and fix the date for the announcement of the judgment by March 28 at 11 am.. 

  • Published in News

Married man blackmail ex-girlfriend; Complaint lodged; accused produced before court

IT News

Imphal, March 18

A 40 years old married man, who is working as a doctor by profession identified as Pukhrambam Kiran Singh of Wangkhei Yonglan Leirak in Imphal East district allegedly blackmail his ex-girlfriend showing her nude picture and finally distributing it to her locality after she refused to comply to satisfy him. The ex-girlfriend too had married another person but following the distribution of her nude photograph, she was forced to return at her parental home.

The victim girl finally lodged a complaint to the Nambol Police Station and later after being picked up by the police team, he was produced before the Court and remanded for 10 days in police custody.

On her complaint note, the victim said that the doctor (her ex-boyfriend) took her photo after raping her and promising her for marriage at a roadside restaurant somewhere in Ghari area in September 2010.

“One day in September 2010 the Accused Person asked me to go for an outing with him and I was taken to a roadside restaurant located at Ghari. When I went inside the restaurant, I sensed the awkward environment of the restaurant and therefore insisted on the Accused person that we should leave the place as I find the place unacceptable and makes me feel uncomfortable. Despite such pleading by me, the Accused Person insisted that we should sit in the said restaurant for some time. Thereafter, once we were inside the cabin, the Accused Person started fondling my private parts. I tried to resist the beastly advancement of the Accused Person but since I was cornered against the wall, I could not defend myself and could not even shout, as I was afraid of exposing my chastity. Thereafter, taking advantage of my helpless situation, the Accused Person forcibly raped me inside the cabin of the restaurant. While committing his beastly act inside the restaurant he took photographs of my body by using his mobile phones and that too without my consent”, she stated in her complaint note. 

The lady met the accused doctor during her internship at Jawaharlal Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital (JNIMS), Porompat for six months when she was a student of General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM) of Kangleipak Medical Nursing Institute, Imphal in the year 2010. 

Breaking the promise for marrying her, the Accused Person eloped with a girl and married on February 25, 2011. Even after marriage, the accused doctor tried to maintain a relationship with the victim lady but she denied as he had married another girl. 

As the doctor continued to call her and after she refused to accept his call her picture taken by him was disseminated at her locality. 

  • Published in News

Only 2 will fight for the lone Rajya Sabha Seat of Manipur; NPF candidate withdraw nomination

IT News

Imphal, March 18

Of the three candidates who had filed nomination for contesting the lone Rajya Sabha seat, only two will be fighting for the seat as the NPF Candidate, Honreikhui Kashung today withdrew his candidature today.

It is straight fight between the BJP candidate and Manipur's titular king Leishemba Sanajaoba and the Congress candidate T Mangi Babu. NPF have four seats in the sixty member house of the Manipur Legislative Assembly and is in the coalition government led by the BJP. Even as Congress party has 28 numbers elected the actual figure reduced to 20 with 8 of its elected members defected and support the BJP led government in the state. BJP’s elected MLAs were only 21 at first but with the defected MLAs the number now reach 28 leaving aside the speaker of the house. Independent Candidate Asab Ali plus the 4 NPP MLAs and the four NPF now reach the no of BJP supporters to 36 which makes sure that BJP will win the Rajya Sabha seat.

  • Published in News

Confirmed Coronavirus case reaches 147 in the country; Maharashtra worst affected

IT News

Maharashtra March 18

While till now the novel CoronaVirus (Covid 19) has claimed three lives in the country, the number of affected persons reached 147 with Maharashtra topping the list at 39, followed by Kerala with 22 confirmed cases.

Those who lost their lives due to the disease include, a 76-year-old man from Kalaburagi, Karnataka, returned from Saudi Arabia, who died on 12 March, a 68-year-old woman, passed away at the Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) Hospital, Delhi on 13 March. Similarly a 65 year old man, who had returned from Saudi Arabia, died in at Kasturba Hospital, Mumbai on 17 March).

As of now confirmed cases include: Maharashtra 39, Kerala-22, Uttar Pradesh -11, Delhi-7, Karnataka-6, Telangana-3, Ladakh-3,Jammu, Rajasthan-2, Kashmir 2, Tamil Nadu 1, Andhra Pradesh-1 and Punjab-1.

The total number of confirmed cases in the country include 17 foreigners — 16 Italian tourists (two admitted SMS Hospital, Jaipur, Rajasthan and 14 admitted to the Medanta Hospital, Haryana) and a Canadian (admitted to King George’s Medical University, Lucknow).

Maharashtra witnesses a steep hike in positive cases which rose to 39 within a short span. The break up is:  Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation-9, Pune Municipal Corporation-7, Mumbai -6, Nagpur-4, Navi Mumbai-3, Yavatmal-3, Kalyan-3, Thane-1, Raigad-1, Ahmednagar-1 and Aurangabad -1.

In the meanwhile to avoid crowding, the Western Railway has hiked the cost of platform tickets by 400 per cent from Monday midnight. A platform ticket which used to cost Rs 10 earlier, now costs Rs 50. The new ticket price is effective in close to 250 stations in the five divisions under the Western Railway-Mumbai, Vadodara, Ahmedabad, Ratlam, Rajkot and Bhavnagar.

First Coronavirus case reported in West Bengal (18 year old boy who travelled to UK)

Odisha reports first Coronavirus patient. A 33 year old researcher  who returned from Italy tested positive for the Coronavirus.

Air India to suspend flights to UK from 19 March onwards

Government of India imposes a ban on Indians returning to India from UK, Europe and Italy.

Confirmed cases 137, cases cured 14.

Three deaths

Legendary cricketer Sachin Tendulkar explains people about precautions to be taken to prevent Coronavirus

Maharashtra put an indelible mark on the hands of home quarantine patients

Mumbai Police has clamped prohibitory orders banning assembly of five or more persons in the city till March 31.

  • Published in News

GSO condemn Chahsat incident

IT News
Imphal, March 18

The Gangte Students’ Organisation, General Headquarters (GSO-GHQ) expressed shocked and grieved against the arson of Chahsat village, Kamjong district that brought more than hundred houses to cinders on March 16.
“It is very ill-fated that such barbaric act still  exists in our society. The unresponsiveness  of 42nd AR   posted  there in proximity to Chahsat village is condemnable  by all right thinking citizens and, the state force stationed there deserve no less castigation in tolerating the Sampui villagers to carry out their fiendish act of pyromania”,  a statement of the organization said.
It added that this inhumane act of rampant conflagration is no less an act of war against helpless innocent villagers who are in minority. The blitz that was carried out will only cramp peaceful co-existence, but rather social unrest and disharmony among all.
The GSO-GHQ urged the authority concern to look into the matter and take necessary actions in bringing justice to the downtrodden. We pour out our deepest sympathy to the aggrieved and homeless villagers.

  • Published in News

Church’s body show serious concern on Chahsad incident; appeal for peace and harmony

IT News
Imphal, March 18

Council of Kuki Worship Services (CKWS), expressed serious concern over the incidence of violence in burning of about 200 houses belonging to poor villagers of Chahsad Village in Kamjong District of Manipur on March 16.
The CKWS which is a non-denominational Church organization formed by Kuki Worship Services located in 20 cities of India and 4 cities abroad  appealed to all concern for peace and harmony.
“CKWS earnestly, appeals to all concerned Christian brothers and sisters to abhor violence of any form, as followers of Christ, and find solution to problems and issues through peaceful dialogue and negotiation based on Biblical principles of mutual love, trust and respect rather than resorting to violence, which is detrimental to the well being of all”, a statement of the Church body said.
 The CKWS also urged the Govt. authorities to take adequate action to ensure the rule of law, deliver justice, ensure safety and security of the villagers and fulfill its obligation as a responsible Government, to rebuild the life of affected villagers. It also appealed  to all minority Christian communities in Manipur and North East India to remember bigger challenges the Church is facing today and promote a culture of peaceful coexistence and mutual support as Christians.

  • Published in News

Nomination of titular King Sanajaoba is a clear example of democratic values - AZACO

IT News

Imphal, March 18

All Zeliangrong Arts and Culture Organisation (AZACO) Manipur in a statement has expressed full support to the nomination of titular King Leishemba Sanajaoba as the candidate for the lone Rajya Sabha Seat of Manipur terming it as a clear example of Democratic outlook and perspective.

A press released sign by Poudongai Kamson president AZACO said that the nomination of Leishemba Sanajaoba will strengthen the ties between the inhabitants of hills and plain, Co-existed since the time immemorial maintaining harmony and sprit of common brotherhood.

“It is an earnest appeal to all that in every step that Iningthou Leishemba Sanajaoba takes up for the welfare of people in future, all must reciprocate with clear and affection. Iningthou Leishemba Sanajaoba is a man of childlike personality who ruled shoulder with all the people alike”, the statement said.

  • Published in News

YFPHR urges Government and MHRC to conduct an urgent fact finding mission at Kamjong District

IT News

Imphal, March 18

In connection with the recent violence which occurred at Kamjong District of Manipur in which nearly 150 houses were burnt leading to the displacement of many families Youth’s Forum for Protection of Human Rights (YFPHR) has appealed the Govt. of Manipur and the MHRC to conduct a fact finding mission to assess the “Human Rights Impact Assessment” as to find out the root cause of the violence and to find out how the violence triggered and who are involved behind the scene.

The Forum appealed the Government of Manipur to provide proper relief materials, foods, water, medicines, cloths, etc for those who are internally displaced keeping particular focus on women and children.

“We have a deep fear that such an act of arson of 15o houses is impossible without proper planning and we do fear that such an act was carried out under proper guidance and instruction by some vested people or institutions to fulfill their interest”, a statement by YFPHR signed by its president Phajaton said.

  • Published in News

Co-ordinating Body, Khurai asks Leishemba Sanajaoba to abdicate before going to RS

IT News
Imphal, March 18

Co-ordinating Body, Khurai , a body of local clubs, Meira Paibi and working Class of Khurai in Imphal East district today condemn the decision of the titular king Leishemba Sanajaoba to contest the lone Rajya Sabha Election given the fact that his position will be lowered once he become a member of the Rajya Sabha.
In a press meet held today at the office of the Co-ordinating Committee at Khurai Lamlng Keithel, Spokesperson of the body Moirangthem  Loya Meitei said that by tradition our king cannot sit at the back of any person and that once he become the member of the RS then he will be treated as a mere common man humiliating the aged old tradition of the King’s institution.
“If the King think that he cannot change his decision then he should step down from his position and put someone in his place before going to the Rajya Sabha  

  • Published in News

Silencing the voice of dissent: a disregard to the Freedom of Expression

It is okay for the Government of Manipur to restrict public meetings or mass gatherings to avoid the spread of the coronavirus. Even classes of schools and colleges have been suspended till March 31. But the prohibition of gathering to discuss the issue about the nomination of Leishemba Sanajaoba as the BJP candidate to the Rajya Sabha and allowing other gathering is a complete dishonour to the constitution of India which guaranteed all citizens – the right to Freedom of Expression.
Criticism of any policy or decision of a political party or the government is the right of every citizen as long as it is for the cause of the protection of the community’s identity. Simply dictating the people from speaking against the nomination of titular King Sanjaoba using all force without following the rules of law and without respecting the voice of dissent is a sign of defying the provisions provided in the constitution of India.
It is not that Imphal Times supports those voicing against the BJP decision to file Leishemba Sanajaoba as the candidate for the lone Rajya Sabha seat from Manipur. What is more concern, is the suppression of freedom of expression guaranteed by the constitution of India. When people are forced to keep silent on any decision of a political party using force then the doomsday for democracy is not far.
Some CSOs leaders had stated that Leishemba Sanajaoba cannot be treated as a common person, they have their point. Sanajoaba is the head of an institution that has been protecting the historical pride of the state. Everyone knows how the institution has been groom by the leaders of the civil society organization in the last 20 years. And thus discussion and criticism of the recent political development in connection with the Rajya Saha Election is the right of the people.
Moreover, there is also a heated argument regarding the nomination of former Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi as the Rajya Sabha member. A former Supreme Court judge Justice Kurian Joseph had stated that acceptance of Rajya Sabha nomination by former Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi has certainly shaken the confidence of the common man in the independence of the judiciary, which is also one of the basic structures of the Constitution of India. This former judge talking to a newspaper had stated that he was surprised as to how Justice Ranjan Gogoi who once exhibited such courage of conviction to uphold the independence of the judiciary, has compromised the noble principles on the independence and impartiality of the judiciary. The very act of accepting the RS seat may be a first step to put the judiciary under any ruling government.
Criticism is the right of all citizen and if Manipur Government respects the constitution of India they should not have any ban or restriction to CSOs while expressing their view in connection with the nomination of the titular king as a candidate for the Rajya Sabha Election by the BJP.

Subscribe to this RSS feed